Mitten's Journal

Friday, August 06, 2004

I have had a week at work that was completely mind numbing. I have been updating drawings and setting up linkages to files in our system. The hardest part is staying awake so that I don’t make any mistakes. I can’t believe that I only have an hour left before the weekend. It’s about time. I feel like I have been here for 2 weeks straight but in reality I have only been here 4 days this week (I took Tuesday off).

I have a very busy weekend planned. Summerdance tonight, canoeing tomorrow down the Kankakee River, and a sox game on Sunday. Luckily most of it is pretty relaxing assuming I don’t get tossed into the water on Saturday.

Otherwise there isn’t much new going on here. Hence the lack of postings. I did get to see my friend sing at a coffee shop opening last Sunday…..she did a great job.

There was one funny event last Tuesday……a group of us went to see “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” at the movies in Grant Park. What a great movie. It still amazes me that a movie that controversial was even made back then. But I am glad it was. There was a part in the movie where Spenser Tracy is asking Sidney Poitier whether he has thought about having mixed race kids. They started talking about that it would be hard for him/her to be president but maybe he/she could be secretary of state. The entire crowd started laughing and cheering. Even people who had seen it before forgot that it was said. Pretty amazing that 40 some years later, we have a black secretary of state. The funny part happened later….there was about 15 minutes left in the movie when it started to lightning….small at first…then bigger. Of course thunder followed….then a slight drizzle. None of us wanted to miss the end….so we stuck it out. Just as the movie ended, a monsoon hit. We were all trying to grab our stuff and while not getting drenched…a losing battle. So I finally got my chair back in the bag and was ready to go when we realized that some of us had to bring chairs back to get their licenses….so I told them where the car was (inside a parking garage thankfully) then I headed out. I was almost blown over twice. The only reason I even bothered with my umbrella was to keep the rain out of my eyes so I could see. It obviously did me no good other than that. I made it to the garage and felt like a drowned rat. Probably looked like one too. amazingly we all found each other even though 2 of the people didn't know where the car was. Overall it was a pretty funny experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home