Mitten's Journal

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

First…. Happy 36th Anniversary Mom and Dad!!! I love you both!!!

So Ben and I were in san fran Thursday thru Sunday. It was a really nice time. we were able to see a lot of the city plus see some of our swing dancing friends. Always a good time. Went to all the tourist spots…fisherman’s wharf, Chinatown, Lombard Street (crazy), and the Golden Gate Bridge. But my favorite by far was Alcatraz. Maybe it’s because my dad worked in the prison system for 25 years but I was just amazed seeing the inside of a prison (we couldn’t exactly go and visit dad at work and see what his office was like). We got the added bonus of meeting a guy who had lived on the island when he was 10-12 years old. His dad was a guard at Alcatraz and their families had housing on the island. He was very interesting. Apparently his dad was one of the 5 guards taken hostage when 6 of the prisoner’s took over the prison. The guards were put in a cell and one of the prisoner’s shot multiple times into the cell. 3 of the guards died. This guy’s dad was one of the 2 who survived. Apparently he was grazed on the cheek with a bullet and “played dead”. This story struck home a little for me. When I was 3, my dad was working at a prison that had a riot in it. he was lucky since he was in the school (my dad was a math teacher and then the principal of the school in the prison system during his career), which was a different building from where the rioters were. But the rioters did come across the grounds to the school. The guards with my dad and the other teachers, made them wait until the prisoners had come in the front door and then they ran out the back and around to a gate. They all got out safe. So hearing this story about the guy’s dad on Alcatraz was very interesting to me.

The main reason we were there was to go to Ben’s cousin’s bat mitzvah. That is one wild party. It is pretty much like a wedding except with more kids running around. I got to meet the rest of his dad’s side of the family. Everyone was very welcoming and willing to explain things to the non-Jew.

My friend watched Oreo while I was gone. She did a wonderful job with him!!! Thank you!!! I think he misses having her around since I’m sure she played with him more than I do. He let her give him his shots and everything. I guess he grumbled a little about it the first couple times but he got over it quickly. He is such a character.

Now I am back at work….woo hoo!!! I can’t wait to move on to my next career (relaxation training). Things are heading that way but it will probably be a year before my training is complete. But after that time, if anyone knows of any companies who bring in outside people to teach workshops/seminars and might be open to having relaxation training incorporated into their training, let me know. We are starting to put a website together…. i will post it once it is finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home