Mitten's Journal

Monday, January 17, 2005

I can’t believe how cold it is outside (-15 deg F wind chill in the burbs where I work). It is really hard for me to breath. I even took a cab to union station this morning so that I didn’t have to stand out in it. this is a little extreme.

Ben and I had a nice weekend. We had dinner and a movie night on Friday. Then we spent Saturday working on the den. It is finally almost done. The only thing left to do is to buy some storage bins to put things in on the shelves. This way it won’t look so cluttered. I need to figure out what to do with my old computer. I’m thinking I will donate it to some organization….but I don’t even know which one will take a 5 year old Dell.

Saturday night we played Texas Holdem with some of his friends. I did pretty well. We had 2 tables…and when both tables got down to 4 players each, they went to the winner’s table. I was really low on chips near the end before we broke into the winner's and loser's tables and thought I was going out. I had enough to bet the current blind but that only left 6 $1 chips left….so I decided before the cards were dealt that I was going all in no matter what….i get my cards….and I have an off suit 7-2. theoretically the worst hand in Texas Holdem. So I go all in before any community cards were dealt. 2 others go in with me. So we see the cards…..and as they come up….i am close to a straight….but not quite. In the end, I had a pair of 7’s (the last card flipped was a 7). I figure that I am done. Then the other 2 guys flip their cards…one has a pair of 4’s and the other has an ace high (nothing else). I started laughing. And asked if anyone knew the worst hand in this game….a few answered an off suit 7-2 at which point I flipped over my cards. I won with a 7-2. so I was back in the game. A little later…I was out of chips again….and I went all in with very little…..and won again. The next hand….another guy took most of those winnings. By then, another girl and I were both really low on chips and realized that we didn’t want to go to the winners table since we would both lose quickly….so we both went all in and both lost to another player. Very happy to lose…so I got to play at the losers table….which was more fun since we weren’t as serious about the game.

I was very happy with how I played because usually when I start doing bad, I just give up….but not this time. I decided that I was there to play and have fun. So even when I was down….i still played like I always did.

Sunday, I babysat a 3 month old. He is so cute. And really good. But he didn’t want me to sit down….so I had to walk him around a lot. Luckily he doesn’t weigh too much yet.

Overall….a very nice weekend.

Then I come to work on Monday. Not a bad day….but I am doing work for this one guy here…to help him out…and he calls in “sick” at least once a week….if not more. Very frustrating. So today, I hit a point where I can’t continue without his help….but alas….he isn’t here. I really don’t understand why nothing is done about this. He has been doing this for over a year now. I really hate to use the minority card….especially because in engineering, I am considered one…..but it just seems like our boss’s hands are tied. At least that is the rumor. Funny thing is in this group….the rumor is usually pretty accurate. Even when he is here, he is on the internet more than anything. About half the time I walk past his desk (his desk is on the way to the printer), he is on the internet. The more frustrating things is that I get talked to about things (impressions that people have about me and my work habits) periodically but I just don’t see anything being done about him. About a year ago he was promoted too. He was doing this even before that happened. Why promote him when he is doing this stuff??? And then turn around and blast me for doing much less than him. Ok enough ranting for one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home