Mitten's Journal

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

So my aunt died last night. And now I want to tell you about her.

She was actually my great-aunt. My dad’s aunt. And she was 96 years old. She lived a long and full life. Until a week or so ago she lived on her own in her house. And she was happy there. She was married to my uncle for a long time until he passed away 12 years ago or so. She was a very strong woman who never went to the hospital and was never sick (that I know of anyway). My uncle and aunt and my grandma (who is now 95 years old) traveled all over the world. They enjoyed their lives. My aunt and uncle used to feed the animals in their woods (their house was in the woods). They would go to the bakery and get the day old bread to feed to the animals. They had deer, birds, raccoons, and flying squirrels come by to eat. The animals knew when they would put the food out and they would come by and visit. The only animals she didn’t like were the squirrels. They apparently would eat the bird’s food and she hated that. So this little 80-year-old woman would grab her gun and shot them. she was a good shot too. It was pretty funny actually. Not that I agreed with her killing them but it is still amusing to think about. Luckily she never did it around me. About a week ago, she fell and hurt herself. Not bad…didn’t break anything but she realized that she couldn’t live in the house in the woods alone anymore. So I think she decided that she was done with this world. She stopped eating and drinking water and last night passed away peacefully in her sleep.

I’m sad but not too upset. She lived the way she wanted to live for 96 years and died the way she wanted to die. I find contentment in that.

I just wanted to tell her thanks for the memories and I hope I can live as well as she did.

Good-bye Aunt H…say hi to Uncle L for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home