Mitten's Journal

Friday, April 15, 2005

Here are a bunch of random things going on in my life and my head…

I actually went out dancing on Monday night. It was good to get back into it. The best part was that I knew a lot of people who were there. It was great to see everyone. I brought a friend of a friend with me since she wanted to find something new to do. She had a great time. And now I have the bug back to dance more. Last Monday I was able to stay out later since I had a vacation day on Tuesday. But in the future I won’t be able to stay out as late so if anyone is interested in joining me on future Mondays let me know.

Then Tuesday I had my bathroom vanity counter installed. This was the reason I had a vacation day. The guy showed up at 9:30am, which was good since that would give me the rest of the day to get other stuff done. Well…he put the sink in place and it fit perfectly…great!!! Then he had to drill the hold for the faucet…and he cracked the countertop…not great. Then he tells me that this is the first time in 7 years that he cracked a countertop. Yeah me for being the lucky one that broke his streak. So he took it back and they are fixing it (it’s Corian so they can do that). It will be delivered on Saturday…cross your fingers that it doesn’t break again.

Then I go back to work on Wednesday. All I have heard about here are the rumors that we may be having layoffs. At first I blew it off as rumor but I keep hearing it from very diverse sources. Plus the rumor started getting more specific. I now hear that they are going to offer early retirement packages by the end of this month. This was how it started the last time we had layoffs. First the early retirement packages, then the voluntary layoffs, then the regular layoffs. I’m really debating about the layoffs for me. In some ways it would be good for me to be laid off. If they do have voluntary layoffs, I am going to contact the other company that I interviewed with to see if there is any prospect of getting hired in there. If so, maybe I could arrange things so that I volunteer for the layoff then get a new job within a short period of time. I could feasibly get 2 paychecks for a couple of months depending on the severance package. Or I could look at this as an opportunity to focus on the relaxation and really spend my time learning and getting ready for changing to that new career. I still have a lot to learn before I can fully jump into that field but if I spent my 40 hours per week learning this while I am still getting paid by my current employer then I could be ready sooner than I will be if I am doing my training in my spare time. too much to think about when I don’t even know if any of this is happening.

On a good note with the relaxation training…I held my 2nd class last night. It went really well. I felt comfortable talking about everything. I really felt like the group got something out of the class and I felt like I was making a difference.

Something strange happened today at my work…I went to our cafeteria to get lunch and ended up standing right behind the COO of my company. He turned around said hi to me…no big deal but he called me by name. My company has over 1500 employees in this location so I was surprised that he knew my name that quickly. I even checked to see if my badge was showing my name but it was on backwards so you couldn’t see my picture or name. Overall I was surprise and impressed that he would remember me especially since I have only met him once.

Anyway…enough rambling for one day. Back to work.

1 Comments:

  • thanks for the help. we are trying to set up a website right now but that isn't done yet. so you can have your friend email me and i will send her all the information that she needs.

    i am planning on heading out dancing on monday. let me know if you can join me....i would love the company.

    By Blogger mitten, at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home