Mitten's Journal

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Oreo doesn't need shots anymore!!!

Holy crap….looks like Oreo isn’t diabetic anymore. He has grown out of it. At least that is the initial thought. We had to bring him to the emergency vet on Saturday night because he was trying to go poo but couldn’t do it. Plus he threw up all his food right after he had his insulin shot. They kept him to fix his poo problem plus they wanted to monitor his blood sugar level. His blood sugar level got really low even though he was eating his food. He was not a happy boy. They listed him as FAR (Fractious, Alert, Responsive).

Anyway…his blood sugar finally stabilized in the normal range for a non-diabetic cat. So we brought him home on Sunday evening and brought him back to the regular vet on Monday morning. His blood sugar was still good. Yeah!!! But they wanted to do a blood sugar curve on him all day to see how he is doing. I didn’t want to leave him at the vet so we figured out that I can test him at home with a tester that people diabetics use. I had to prick his ear to get the blood. Luckily this doesn’t seem to hurt him. He doesn’t even flinch. I took his readings about 6 times yesterday and then 2 times this morning. All were in the normal range. So he is off insulin unless he becomes diabetic again.

We will spot check him periodically and continue to monitor his water intake (another indication of diabetes is drinking too much water).

So this was an expensive Oreo weekend but at least things are looking better for him.

1 Comments:

  • Sweet!!! That's fabulous news! I'm so happy for you and for Oreo. Sorry it was expensive, but if he stays not diabetic then it will be cheaper in the long run right? I'm so glad that he's better - who'd have guessed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home