Mitten's Journal

Friday, June 23, 2006

Part 4 of Ben's honeymoon journal

Ben’s Journal Continues….

Part 4…Heineken Experience continued…

The first part of the tour was pretty standard. The basics of beer making. We’d seen this on the bud and miller tours in the states. What was fun was the other stuff. They got us into a theater where we all stood and watched a presentation on “Being a Bottle”. It was unexpected fun. The floor would rattle, shake, and move in sync with the movie screen in front. It was a bottle’s perspective of washing, filling, labeling, packing, and shipping eventually ending up in what might have been a disco. After that it was time for beer #1.

We finished our beers quick and jumped ahead of a loud massive German contingent. Luckily for us as the next area was a section where you could send emails to your friends but better yet was a karaoke area. You stood in front of a green screen and could sing along in Dutch to a drinking song, and Brenda thought I was bad at karaoke back home…wait until you see me try and sing in Dutch, quite bad I assure you.

After the karaoke, we moved on to another area that was all about the shire horses that they use to deliver beer with. We had actually seen this a couple of days earlier. They are big stocky horses, though not as large as the Clydesdales that bud uses back in the states. So while waiting in line for the delivery simulation, the old, cranky, Germans caught up with us. The problem was instead however with 2 young girls…maybe in their 20’s – also German. I usually have no problem letting other people go in front of me for things, but after waiting for 5 minutes for this next part of the tour, I didn’t want to let these girls in front of me and Brenda, they had just shown up in line. Brenda had a good position to get in, but I had to elbow my way in front of the one blond girl. To no avail however as they could only take 12 of us at a time and we just missed the cutoff. So while I found it very rude of the girls to try and cut in front of us and to separate Brenda and I by getting between us, I’m sure she thought I was the rude American. After all the drama, the “ride” wasn’t quite as much fun as the bottle experience.

Once that was complete, we moved on to the next area. But first Brenda and I sat in a recliner with a built-in tv screen. You could recline and watch some Heineken tv commercials. They were ok, we’d seen most already, what was funny was this chair was meant for 1 person. Brenda and I sat in it together, a little close but we’re married and all….so she got out first and before I was able to get out of the chair, a 20-something boy who was anxious to sit in the chair fell into it as it’s difficult to get in and out of and the two of us shared the chair for a moment. Brenda got a kick out of that.

Next came the gift shop where we got a few trinkets for ourselves and our sisters. After that was the 2nd bar and our other 2 free beers.

While at the bar drinking, we had to share a standing table with another couple. I noticed the man had a “huggable hubby” button on this jacket. I asked if they were newlyweds like we were. Turns out they were celebrating their 1 year anniversary for the weekend. They were visiting from Birmingham, England. Their names were James and Dawn. They were very nice, he works construction as a roofer and she’s a private nurse. I’m sure we’d be best friends but as we live on opposite sides of the pond I didn’t get the info. However, before leaving Brenda did show them a photo of Oreo she keeps on her pda. Now who’s the geek???

Saturday, 5/20/06, 5:30pm

Riding the train to Frankfort

It’s been about an hour now on the train to Frankfort where we will transfer to another train to Prague. The train is new and clean and very quite. I’ve been writing about Heineken for most of the trip. I’m going to explore the train a bit and then listen to the DaVinci Code a bit more on my iPod.

Monkey see monkey do…

An expression my dad would often say, it cam to life earlier today as Brenda and I walked towards the Heineken experience. We past what looked like a fire house, on it was a tower with a symbol. on the symbol were 3 vertical X’s, like what we saw on bollards everywhere. I thought to take a picture to remind us later to look this up on the web. As I took my photo 4 other Japanese tourists (all men) took out their own cameras and all 4 took pictures of the firehouse. We laughed because we’re sure they have no idea what they were doing except copying me.

More later….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home