installment 3 of our honeymoon.
Saturday, 3:40pm 5/20/06
Central station….
Brenda and I just went to the Heineken Experience this morning. It was actually a lot of fun. We took the train to get there. It was our first time riding the train, trolley, tram, whatever they call it here. A one hour fare cost 1.60 euro, which isn’t much more than the CTA back home. It was manned by a driver who would actually give you change back. It was a clean and bright train with automated signs to tell you what line you were one as well as the upcoming 3-4 stops. I’m sure quite useful for people who know where they are going. This is where I have to give my wife Brenda all the credit. I feel I have a basic sense of direction, but she’s much better than I am, especially when we are in new places. So we are riding the train… people here are just like people in Chicago, there were plenty of seats in the back of the train but everybody was crowded up at the front. Very annoying …(back to the train to Heineken)…when Brenda says she thinks we are almost to the brewery but we can’t find it on the train maps. So I trust her instincts and we get out. We went into a local clothes shop where a woman showed us on a map where we were and which direction to head. So we walked about 10 minutes to the brewery. Along the way, we saw a small cat, an architect’s office (with people inside working on a Saturday…) and a skateboard park. We also walked past the Van Gogh Museum, the line to get inside was extremely long. Much longer than Friday at the Anne Frank House, but this was a Saturday. We kept going for a few minutes and got to the brewery. There was no line to speak of.
The tour was 10 euro each, but since we came all the way and had no time for anything else we decided to do the tour. Especially since it was self guided you could go at your own pace. We only had 3 hours till we would have to leave for the train station.
As part of the tour you got 3 plastic discs that were good for 3 beers (or sodas) and a free gift at the end. So it really was a good deal, provided you drank bier (as it is spelled here).
I’ll tell you all about this in the next installment. I have to go home from work now….
Central station….
Brenda and I just went to the Heineken Experience this morning. It was actually a lot of fun. We took the train to get there. It was our first time riding the train, trolley, tram, whatever they call it here. A one hour fare cost 1.60 euro, which isn’t much more than the CTA back home. It was manned by a driver who would actually give you change back. It was a clean and bright train with automated signs to tell you what line you were one as well as the upcoming 3-4 stops. I’m sure quite useful for people who know where they are going. This is where I have to give my wife Brenda all the credit. I feel I have a basic sense of direction, but she’s much better than I am, especially when we are in new places. So we are riding the train…
The tour was 10 euro each, but since we came all the way and had no time for anything else we decided to do the tour. Especially since it was self guided you could go at your own pace. We only had 3 hours till we would have to leave for the train station.
As part of the tour you got 3 plastic discs that were good for 3 beers (or sodas) and a free gift at the end. So it really was a good deal, provided you drank bier (as it is spelled here).
I’ll tell you all about this in the next installment. I have to go home from work now….

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home