Mitten's Journal

Monday, February 21, 2005

Going crazy. Sometimes I almost think it is worse having no work to do than it is to be swamped. I have absolutely nothing to work on at work. I am just sitting her twittling my thumbs. This morning I asked the guy next to me if he has anything for me to do…he says not right now and to check with our boss. I was planning on doing that but the opportunity showed up without me having to do anything. Another guy was in my area and our boss comes in. the other guy tells bossman that he is so buried that there is no way he can get everything done. So I tell them both that I am open and can help. This was at 10:30 this morning. As of 5 hours later, I still haven’t heard anything. The guys wanted to talk over the items that they have and then give me stuff….but it has taken them 5 hours to even get together. So I am about ready to scream now. I hate being this idle. I feel like my review sheet of accomplishments this year will consist of “helped Greg, Shawn, and Marlon when they needed it.” I actually feel like I am losing my engineering skills because I rarely get to use them. I’m tired of feeling like I can’t do anything or that I am no good at anything. But how else am I supposed to feel when every time I ask for work I am given menial tasks that someone out of high school could do. Ok maybe they couldn’t but that is what it feels like.

On a better note…I got a call from a company in Chicago. They want me to come in to tour the place. I called them back in September and left my information for them. I was calling to find if they even hire engineers. They said yes but didn’t have any openings back then. They took my name and number and said they would get back with me. I figured that this was the last I would hear from them. then the call came. Needless to say I was shocked. I actually didn’t know what to do especially since I am looking to change careers. Ben made a good point that it was probably a good idea to just check them out and see what they had to say. So I set up a time to tour their facility this coming Saturday. They don’t even have my resume. I don’t know if this is a good thing or not. So I will bring one along. They do know basically what I have worked on and that I have been working for 11 years. When I told them that, they seemed more interested in me. We’ll see where it goes. But finding this out is making my annoyance at work even harder to deal with.

So it is 4:15 and I am just now getting something to work on. Nice that they wait until I have a half an hour left in the day.

Oh well. At least I have work to keep me busy the rest of the week (hopefully).

1 Comments:

  • thanks...that is the same decision that i have come up with...now i just have to wait to see how it goes on saturday.

    By Blogger mitten, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home