Mitten's Journal

Friday, February 10, 2006

work politics

Things have been very busy at work and at home. Work is still good but I definitely need to talk to the uppers about what they expect from me. I don’t want to find out a year from now in my review that I have been doing things wrong or focusing on the wrong priorities. The guys in my group just had their reviews and it seems like some of them were blindsided by some of the issues. I would rather take the time to talk with my management now to try and prevent that from happening to me.

I am having some issues with my immediate supervisor. He seems to contradict himself a lot. On one hand he is telling us that we are going to be very busy during this next year. Then when I point out my need for a more powerful computer, he just blows me off. I would understand if he said that he understands but that we don’t have the money for it right now but to just blow me off is an issue. Along those same lines, we are working in a new system that will “organize” our files better. Since I am new, I decided to work in this system right away. This was looked at as a good thing by my boss but when I pointed out that I couldn’t access this system from home on my work laptop, he told me that it wasn’t a priority. So I went around him and asked the guy in charge of the system about the issue and it turns out that they haven’t even told the IT group about the problem yet. And that maybe it is an easy fix. Of course this came back to bite me in the ass because my boss found out that I went around him and have me crap for it. Of course he follows that up by saying that he is just kidding but I don’t think he is.

My other issue with him is that he tells us stuff that he shouldn’t. One of the guys in my group put in his notice yesterday after a bad review. My boss told us that he was getting a bad review before the review even happened. Then after the guy quit, we had a meeting as a group to discuss how we all feel…well my boss tells us all about the guys review and what he complained about. He then told us how this guy bailed on us. That is between the guy and my company….not for his boss to tell the rest of the group.

That being said. Overall, I still like it here. I just have to figure out how to handle my new boss. I want to go places with this company and don’t want to burn bridges. So I will need to start working within the system. In some ways, I wish that I was working for the other manager. He is a little anal about some things but overall he is a good guy.

In another interesting happening moment…I am working on a project for my previous company. This was the company that I left 8 years ago. I got some paperwork from them today and the team that was listed on it included my old boss and some of my previous co-workers. It was strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home